Saturday, April 19, 2008

My dog has OCD?

Recently I went with a friend to take her cat into the vet.  While sitting in the waiting room we were talking about how much Iggy really liked the new laser light she had just bought him.   Now this isn't the first laser light that Iggy has had.  We used to use one all the time when we didn't have a fence for our yard.  On cold winter mornings when we just too warm and lazy to take the dog out on a leash, we used the laser light to keep him in the yard.  It is amazingly effective.  For those of you that have dogs, but aren't fenced in, this is an awesome alternative to standing in the cold while your dog christens ever bush, tree and stump in the yard.  

Anyway the receptionist over heard the conversation, and said that she had seen on animal planet that you shouldn't use laser lights with dogs, but it was okay with cats.   When I asked why, she said she wasn't sure, but it had something to do with the fact that cats will forget but dogs won't.   I thought this over for a bit, wondering why it mattered that dogs didn't forget.  When we were in with the vet I asked him.   He kinda of laughed and said it causes dogs to have OCD.  Apparently they constantly look for the light -FOREVER.  So I figure, since my dog is already crazy for it, might as well keep using it.   Even in the months that we have not used the laser light (darn thing disappears every so often, usually to be found in the 8 year olds "stuff") the dog finds his own amusements.   He loves lightening storms, he stands in the sunroom jumping on every flash of light that crosses his path.   The sun shining through the window the right way will provide hours of entertainment.  Who am I to take his favorite pass time away?  It would be cruel I say.   So for now, I guess my dog has just a little more common with the rest of us as he too has the need for psychiatric help.   

No comments: