Friday, April 18, 2008

Selective, but not cheap

I think by now, everyone should be feeling the effects of our wonderful failing economy, and if you are one of the few that haven't noticed let us all party at your house.  Come on,  we make good money, we are smack dab in middle class here so tell me how do the rest of you do it?  There is a certain style or status quo that over the years I have noticed while living in Charlotte, NC.   I recently heard it referred to as "the charlotte way".  Every driveway has a SUV or two.   Teenagers have new cars?  Um hello people, you don't give the teenager a new car, even if you have lots of extra cash just sitting around.   

Now, don't look at me and think I'm living the "charlotte way"....oh no not me.   I decided years ago that I was too hick to be yuppified.   I've actually come to enjoy the trill of the bargain hunt.  And for me to pay full price for something it had better be needed and soon....otherwise it stays at the store. 

Of course this year with two over sea trips planned for our daughter, I guess you could say we have over extended ourselves.   I know many of my friends have said....I don't see how you do it.  To be honest most days we are not sure either, but as with everything it comes down to a choice.   We drive OLD cars...hey they work and get us from point A to point B, and the best part....they are payed for.   Our teenager gave up getting a driving permit for another year so she could take the Japanese trip.   We won't be taking a real vacation this year, we are eating out less, and there are very few movies indeed that are worthy of a theater experience these days.

  Now Paul still likes to complain that I'm bargaining him into the poor house, but I say, does he really realize how much all those books I read would cost NEW.    Now some might call me cheap because I refuse to pay $50 or even $30 for a pair of jeans, but I say.....I'm just selective.

And all of you "charlotte way" folks, let me know when you have your next attic or yard sale, I'll buy those $50 jeans your kids have grown tired of for a couple of bucks...cash as always.

No comments: